We will use the collected samples and data to answer fundamental questions in human and microbiome research, such as:
- What makes us human, and what are the origins of the human microbiome?
- How did agriculture and human migrations impact microbiome evolution?
- How did the recent biodiversity loss in western societies impact human health and can we restore this biodiversity?
- How does the microbiome interact with the innate and adaptive immune system and how did these interactions co-evolved?
- What are the worldwide distribution and dynamics of antimicrobial resistance genes among healthy human populations?